Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Round 6: Christmas Socks

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't talk about my thing with Christmas socks, but honestly, it was the first thing that came into my mind today. Besides, I'm wearing a new pair of Christmas socks right now and I am really excited about them.
Now some of you might be thinking, "Really? She's going to do an entire blog post on socks she can only wear one month out of the year?" Yeah, it's crazy, right? But you might want to keep reading anyway if for no other reason than it could be a fascinating read, and really, if you're reading this far, then you don't have anything better to read right now anyway, so why not read about my obsession with Christmas socks, eh?

I mean really, aren't these fun???
I'm not sure when this thing with socks started. I know that growing up, my mom had a few different pairs of socks for holidays and she used to get us a pair or two every year, and it was always exciting. (Hmm, maybe that's the trouble right there: a child who is excited by socks.....) Anyway, whatever it was, it stuck and now that my feet have stopped growing, thankfully, (uhhhhhhhh.......) the socks that I have had for years still fit, so when I buy new pairs (and I do), they just add to the growing collection. The saddest day ever is when I realize that a trusty pair of socks that I have had for some time have gone the way of all the earth and I can no longer wear them without the skin of my foot touching my shoe. Sometimes I still wear them. Depends on the sock.
To illustrate how bad my little Christmas sock fettish is, let's use a real life example: I just now tried to count how many pairs of Christmas socks I have. I couldn't do it. That right there is the sign that something's wrong, when I can't even remember how many pairs I have.
But this year I have branched out. This year I have purchased at least 3 pairs of Christmas KNEE SOCKS. I KNOW!!!!!! Shocking, you say. Daring, you say. What the heck, most of you say. Yeah, yeah, I know, but now I can wear Christmas socks with my boots and maybe see some of them above the boot! Or I could just make myself look like an even bigger dork and wear them with regular things because it's freezing cold outisde and my calves appreciate the extra fabric. Like now.
There are, of course, rules to wearing Christmas socks. Rules, you say? How's that? Well, just look:
1. Christmas socks match absolutely everything. Every. Thing.
2. If your selected Christmas socks don't go with your outfit, refer to Rule #1

Now that's not so bad, is it? Pretty straightforward.
I firmly believe this, actually. Normally I'm pretty set on color coordinating, but come December, the colors are blurred by the Christmas Spirit of your socks and magically, the socks match everything. Don't you laugh at me, you fashionistas with no Christmas Spirit, you Scrooges of the fashion industry! My feet enjoy expressing Christmas by their attire, so you can just deal with it. And go to your nearest department store and buy some for yourselves and see if your feet aren't happier in Christmas socks. I promise you, they will be.
These aren't mine.....but they might as well be. Hey, some of those are cute......
To wrap things up, let me just say this: whoever thought of putting Christmas things on socks should be given a statue somewhere. Or a plate of Christmas cookies, if the statue thing doesn't work out. At the very least.

No comments: