Friday, December 3, 2010

Round 3: Christmas Cards

I have a slight obsession with Christmas cards. Maybe it's because I'm nosy, maybe it's not, but I really and truly love going out to the mailbox in December and finding cards from people that I haven't thought about since...well....last Christmas! I love opening up those cards and seeing the pictures and reading the letters (which are sometimes the best works of fiction I have read outside of a Barnes and Noble or more ridiculous than the Letters to the Editor).
My mom tapes Christmas cards to the doors in the front foyer of the house. The front door and frame, the basement door, the coat closet... When I would come home from college for Christmas, the first thing I'd do is go and see who we had heard from this year.
Last year, I did a lot of the addressing of envelopes and stamps. That was a little stressful, but I really enjoyed it, because I could see who we send cards to and where they were at the moment, and then I could later see who sent us cards. Again, I'm nosy. Whatever.
The actual cards are pretty fun too. I enjoy seeing who goes for the religious theme, who goes for Santa cards, and who just opts for something wintery. But mostly, I enjoy how we reach out to each other during the Christmas season, even if it is just to tell everybody what totally awesome things we've done this year. I know that things are changing with the technology now and the poor economic state, but I really hope that Christmas cards -- actual cards in the actual mail with actual Christmas stamps -- don't die out completely. It would be really sad.

No comments: