Thursday, December 2, 2010

Round 2: The Advent Calender

One of my absolute favorite parts of Christmas is the excitement that surrounds the entire month of December, and before, if you cheat, which is mostly fine by me. But it seemed silly to write a Christmas Dork post on excitement, so I opted to choose an example of that excitement: the Advent Calender.
Now, some families go for the Lego calender, where each day you pull out a small set of Legos and put it together, until right before Christmas you have a full set of characters and spaceships, or what look like spaceships.
Fun; cute, maybe; but not for me.
Some families go for the chocolate calendar. Each day you open the little door with the day on it and get the piece of chocolate inside, until the chocolate is all gone on Christmas morning.
This is more my style, but still, not for me.
I have also seen really cute wooden advent calenders, where each little door with a number on it opens up to reveal a surprise inside. This is also really cute.
You could have all sorts of fun with this, painting and colors and such, but still, not for me.
But the advent calender I grew up with, love, and still insist on using, is a felt one. It's homemade, and we all love it. Each day, one of us, and we all know the order we are allowed to go in, puts one of the little velcro items up on the tree, until Christmas morning, when the star goes on top. It's always so much fun to see the tree get more decorated, and it just brings the excitement of Christmas closer. I decided recently that I am going to make one just like it for my kids, because counting down until Christmas brings the excitement to life, and ending with the star on top of the tree brings the rememberance of why we truly celebrate Christmas and why it is special.

No comments: