Thursday, September 29, 2011

So it begins...

Well, my friends, Tuesday it finally happened. The day I most look forward to from July 4th to Halloween. The day we should all get off of work and school but we don't. That's right......it was List Day. For all of you who don't know, that is the day when my mother asks all of the girls in the family to turn in their list. The list is the combining of birthday and Christmas wish lists into a single master list that hides somewhere on her computer until the end of January. This is the day that marks the end of freedom for those who enjoy wandering the spaciousness that is Mom and Dad's closet. This is the day when it is officially okay to start THINKING about Christmas, beyond what you want to ask for. This is the day that I start to go crazy. See last year's posts, if you don't believe me.
Why so early, you ask? Particularly when you know how strictly we Connollys follow the "not til Thanksgiving is done" rule. Well, that doesn't count for Christmas shopping. And in case you didn't know, we Connolly women like our holiday seasons. I mean we REALLY DO. So much so that we were all born around there. It starts with my sister in law Erin in October, then Mom and Sarah in November, then me in December, then CHRISTMAS, and then Jen in January. The only immediate female family member that doesn't have a holiday birthday is Carly, and she's so fabulous, we make an exception. Besides, she gets presents all year round anyway.
So you see, we HAVE to start thinking and shopping now. Or at least, Mom does. So list day is very important. Granted, things get thrown on last minute, and as birthdays come, things get crossed off, so Christmas shopping becomes that much easier! Well, except for Jenny. Since her birthday is after Christmas, we all have to check with each other to make sure our Christmas presents don't mess up any birthday presents, and vice versa.
List day was so much fun when we were kids. We would pull out the catalogs and magazines and carefully cut out pictures, or sometimes just circle what we wanted in different colors. Now, letters to Santa obviously did not happen until later, but we still had List Day. So fun.
Last night I went out with my mom to do some shopping, since we had a really good coupon somewhere, and we actually got some things for Christmas! It was awesome! I tried to talk her into not talking me out of buying a ginormous mug with a snowman on it, but she succeeded. Alas, the adorable snowman mug of massive proportions is still on that shelf with the other winter/Christmas looking mugs. I won't say who got the presents, but we were pretty excited about them. And I got a few things for myself as well! Good stuff.
Side note: I am doing the Special K challenge, but the Becky version. Basically, the original just didn't have enough calories in it and I was starving and grouchy just trying to do it. So it's been modified, which will exclude me from the sweepstakes if it works, but still. I'd rather not starve and be happy and lose inches more slowly rather than starve and be irritable and lose it rapidly. And if I want to have a cookie every now and again, I'm gonna do it, darn it! I mean, really, when they are warm and gooey and still on the pan and Mom says she doesn't need them all, why shouldn't I have one??? Food for the soul, people. Those calories don't really count..... And it's probably thinking like that that caused me to need to shed some weight at all. Vicious cycle.
Okay, I think I'm done. October is coming, so I'll post on that when it does, and hopefully we can get me out of my Christmas crazies before I burn out [HA! Not likely.] before Halloween.

* For those concerned, List Day is NOT an actual Connolly holiday. I call it that, but no one else does. I'm cool like that.

No comments: