Monday, August 1, 2011

Random thoughts

Maybe it's due to the fact that I've been studying too much, maybe it's because I didn't get very much sleep last night, maybe it's just because I have a cazy random brain, but I have about a bajillion thoughts running through my head, and while 77% of those thoughts involve very large words and algebraic equations, the other 23% is not. In an attempt to relieve the strain on my brain [heehee, I rhymed], I think I'll just spill some of them out here.
~~ I'm almost done working on my room! All of the major stuff is in there, so it's just the little things that are still sitting in the "spare room" that I have to deal with. I've already gone through and made a rather extensive pile for Goodwill/sibiling(or Mom) scouring, and I even cleared out HALF of my lotion collection. Sniffle. I miss them already. But it was getting ridiculous, so it's a good thing. I think.
~~ I have no idea what I'm doing for dinner while my parents are gone. I know it's silly, but I don't cook for myself. I can, don't get me wrong, [not very well, but that's a moot point] but I don't see the point in cooking for one person, particularly when most of my recipes involve cooking for 6 or more. And I'm not much of a leftovers person. Granted, it depends what it is [ahem, Thanksgiving dinner leftovers...], but generally, no thank you. So frozen food and takeout it is. I'm going to end up being one of those single women who sits at home and eats Chinese takeout in her sweats.......hmmm.....Chinese sounds good....
~~ Occasionally in my work, I come across things that I don't want to know about. Sometimes that's just TMI on an injury or a person's way of life or just their life story. Sometimes [most of the time, actually] it's people on the phone who just talk and talk and talk, and I'm usually torn between wanting to interrupt so I can get off the call and get to the next one and wanting to laugh my head off. Or just cover my ears and sing "la la la la la" so I don't have to hear. Today I came across the most disturbing story ever, and I have had a really hard time getting over it. I will not go into any details about how I know this or what it is because 1) I cannot, 2) You don't need to know. But suffice it to say that children were involved. I felt so sick after this all was made known to me. How could anybody knowingly injure a child, whether it be emotional, physical, or otherwise? What part of that person's brain made them think that was a plausible conclusion? How could anybody let that sort of evil seep into them until it takes hold? I cried when I got home tonight, thinking of those kids. I just thought of how the Savior loves children and how tenderly He watches over them, and I hope and pray that wherever those kids are, they will find some peace and comfort.
~~ Thinking about that made me think about family life. I know that not everybody is blessed to have a happy home like I did, and it makes me sad. A child derves to be in a home where they are not only loved, but cherished. They deserve to have parents who will teach them right from wrong, who will sing the ABC's with them, who will play catch outside or have tea parties or make forts out of chairs and blankets. They deserve to live with joy, and not fear. I see people in the world who are raising children and doing the very best they can, and it's not perfect. No life is ever going to be. But sometimes, they are not doing their best. Sometimes the children are seen as a hindrance to the parents way of life. How selfish! You made the decision to be a parent, whether you meant to or not, and you have to live with the consequences of your choices. I think about friends of mine who have adopted, and in so doing, have taken infants that would otherwise have been raised in situations that would not have been condusive to a healthy or stable home life. I applaud anybody who can see the severity of their situation enough to know that they cannot raise the child they have created and place that child with a family who can. I cannot imagine the pain that doing so engenders, but surely the knowledge of the rightness of the decision will be a great comfort to them.
~~ On a MUCH lighter note, I love Covert Affairs. It's a TV show on USA and I am SO addicted. There is a character on it that I simply adore, and he is a blind CIA agent who works in Tech Ops, which I think is the coolest thing ever. He was also Special Forces in Iraq, which I LOVE. I kind of have a thing for armed forces.... Anyway, what I love most about this guy [besides his abs, I mean, come on] is the fact that the actor takes such pains to make sure he portrays the character right. After discovering that the character would be blind, he contacted the Canadian Institute for the Blind and took lessons, met people, and did hours and hours of research so that his portrayal would be accurate. When he found out he would be doing an episode about the character's past involving his time in the military, he contacted military advisors and again spent hours and hours doing reserach and learning how he needed to act in order to be accurate. I LOVE that he felt so deeply about being truthful to both of these aspects of his character's life and behavior. And if that wasn't enough, during that episode that aired, he did a public service announcement about disabled veterans. I LOVE THAT. It made me so happy. We hear such crap from a lot of the media about military and it always makes me so mad when I hear people criticize them. It is sooooo refreshing to find someone in the media realm that still honors those men and women and the sacrifices they make for us.
~~ On a much MUCH lighter note, I really want cookies right now. But that would require me to make them, which would mean I would have a bowl of cookie dough, and in my current state of study burn-out and all alone-ness, I do not think that such temptation would be a good idea. Particularly if I want to maintain my determination to be healthier...
So those are my thoughts right now. Well, some of them. I'm also thinking about sleep, dishes, California, apple pie, Carly, bubble baths, and Panda Express. I told you, I'm random.
Oh, and by the way, Happy August.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

I love the randomness. :) Panda Express and bubble baths...now *I'M* thinking about those, too!