Thursday, June 21, 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

*WARNING: This review is the author's opinion, and does not represent any other perspective but hers. The author has been known to be eccentric [or artistic] in her taste in movies, and others [particularly in the author's own family] will disagree severely with this review.*


I will be the first to admit that I was hesitant to see this movie purely on the fact that Kristen Stewart was in it, and I am not a fan of her acting. Or "acting" would be the proper way to say it, I think. I saw the Twilight movies. All of them. The best thing I can say is that she is getting better. Still, I wasn't sure about this one. But a brave friend saw it before me and told me that I had to see it.
I was so glad that I did!
Charlize Theron was a revelation. She was absolutely brilliant. Oscar-worthy. Creepy and beautiful and haunting and magnificent. It was worth the trip purely to see her portrayal of the evil Queen. The pure depth of her acting was astonishing, and I actually had moments where I pitied her character, which was completely unexpected.
Chris Hemsworth was phenomenal. I mean, I never had any doubts on that score, considering what a brilliant actor he is, not to mention gorgeous. He played a tormented widow brilliantly and his transformation into a loyal protector was absolutely perfect, and it was fantastic to see.
Kristen Stewart...was actually quite good. Would I call her 'fairest in the land'? No. But I came to appreciate that she really is a beautiful girl, and she really does have potential. I wouldn't have thought that she could pull off the meek and innocent character, but I absolutely believed it. I liked her. Never thought I'd admit that in a million years, but there it is.
The music was gorgeous, but when it's James Newton Howard, you can't go wrong. I bought the soundtrack the moment I came home.
The dwarves were awesome, the scenery was perfect, and the supporting characters brought the story more depth, which was exactly what was needed. The cinematography was stunning ad artistic, which I really appreciate.
Now.....there was a sudden ending, which left things a liiiiittle unresolved, but I can appreciate, as a movie lover, the change in format. Now that I've had time to mull things over, I actually like the way it is left, open ended and open to interpretation. The audience can choose their own ending however they like.
It should be noted that this movie is not for kids. It is intense and a little graphic, and there is some partial nudity. Nothing to cover eyes about, but still. Language is clean, as far as I remember, which is always refreshing. But I do not think you should take your kids to this one. It ain't Disney.
All in all, I think this movie is underrated by critics and movie goers. Or maybe it just appeals to a more artistic audience with less demands. Like me.
Does this mean I'll see more Kristen Stewart movies? No way. It does mean that I will give her a chance, barring Twilight movies, to prove herself again. It means that I was pleasantly surprised by a film, and I hope that I can have that experience again.

No comments: