Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Countdown Day 3: Ornaments

I am terribly sorry that I did not have a post for you yesterday, but the workday just did not allow for pondering, and then after work I was at a dinner party for Sinterklaas, so it just didn't happen. But never fear, I shall avail you of my Christmas cheer today.
Last year, if you recall, we discussed both Christmas trees and Christmas lights. What we did not talk about was ornaments. You may not think anything of them, but I think a tree without ornaments looks oddly naked. An inside tree, anyway. A tree outside really has no need or cause for ornamentation other than lights. Unless you want to have ornaments outside...but I think the weather would have something to say about that. It usually does, and sometimes doesn't even like lights...
Sorry, moving on. Ornaments. Classically, we, like everyone else, had the colored glass balls that break easily and make a mess when they do. We also had ornaments that held significance, ie First anniversary of Mom and Dad. I'm not sure when the tradition started, but we started getting ornaments every year. Christmas Eve would come and each kid would get a new ornament just for them. We'd mark our initial and the year on the back, and then on the tree it went. We still do this today. We also have family ornaments for every year, some personalized with our names and some that highlight some of our journeying of that year. We kind of collect ornaments, I think.Our tree has a very hodge-podge feel about it, but we love it.
Example of an ornament we DO have. These are made by our friend Lorrie, who makes adorable ornaments. Check out Mistletoe Memories at http://mismem.stores.yahoo.net/
We also have some ornaments that will never be allowed to NOT go on the tree. One of those is "the pickle", which is a model of an Apollo spacecraft my brother made in school. Why is it the pickle? Because it is made from green Styrofoam. Nuff said. There is the bus ornament, which was made by yours truly in kindergarten, and due to the adorable yet goofy, COMPLETELY NORMAL kindergartner picture on it, the bus has become labeled "the short bus" and it is a reigning family joke that has yet to be funny to me, but that's how it goes, I suppose. I hide the ornament every year in the hopes that it will not make an appearance, but my sisters always find it and give it a place of prominence. Maybe this year I will succeed!
Now, I have no idea how other people do their trees. I've seen a ton of different ways. Some people just have their themed trees, all color coordinated and formal. Those are so pretty! I've seen trees like ours, with homemade ornaments and pictures and randomness. Those are so fun! I've seen trees with large, sparkly ornaments, trees with clear ornaments to reflect the light, trees with ribbon and tinsel, trees with birds [not kidding]... There is no wrong way to go when it comes to ornaments you use for your tree. What matters is that it works for you and you can be happy with your tree.
Isn't this pretty? Maybe someday I'll have a "pretty" tree, too.
All of my ornaments are so special to me, and it never fails to make me smile to pull them out, look at the year, and remember when I got them. I've started collecting ornaments myself, and I can't wait for the day when I can have a tree of ornaments that describe my life, and give out ornaments to my kids, so that they can enjoy them, too!
I love this picture. It's just so adorable and precious! I hope my kids have moments like this.
By the way, I set up a second tree this year, using the fake one we bought a few years ago but had yet to use, since we always go for real trees. I put it in the front room so that it could be seen from the street [don't you love seeing lit up trees from the street???] a decorated it with all of those colored glass ball ornaments. It looks so pretty!!!

No comments: